Because the golf course already existed, the area was divided into two units to provide for the continued operation and management of LVSRA for golf recreation.
The park units were subjected to a number of disturbances prior to acquisition by California State Parks. The glacial terrace was mined for gravel (borrow pits), the meadows were grazed, sewer lines, railroad grades, roads and dirt race tracks altered drainage patterns and disturbed vegetation.
The forests were logged, leaving a myriad of roads and skid trails. Lack of natural fire coupled with drought and infestation have also led to decline in forest health. Prior to the 1940s, this section of the river was straightened, leading to down-cutting, loss of connectivity to the floodplain and degradation of habitat.
The river is still adjusting to this disturbance today as evidenced by unnaturally high erosion rates.
The golf course was built on the previous floodplain/meadow area in 1958-1960, further degrading habitat as several of the holes are located along the river’s edge. State parks has completed, or is in the process of doing, a variety of resource management and restoration projects in these units.