Angora Golf Course Reach
In the mid 1900s,the lower most reach of Angora Creek, just above the confluence with the Upper Truckee River, was diverted to dry the meadow for grazing through a series of dams and ditches, leaving the meadow dry and habitat degraded.
Construction of the Lake Tahoe Golf Course in 1958-1960 on the dry meadow obliterated the eastern third of the meadow and channel.
This land was subsequently acquired by California State Parks (CSP), with a lease still existing for the golf course.
In 1997, CSP restored the meadow channel by enhancing remnants, constructing new sections of the historic channel and removing dams and drainage ditches. An entirely new channel was designed through the golf course to restore geomorphic function while not interfering with golf course play. This two-stage channel was built by excavating a channel and constructing banks with coir fabric encapsulated soil lifts. Extensive re-vegetation followed.
The project restored geomorphic function, raised the water table in the meadow and shifted the meadow vegetation to wetter species, improving riparian habitat and water quality.
Restoration in Pictures
Here are photographs of the restoration project:
Angora Golf Course Project map showing pre- (light blue) and post-project alignment (medium blue).
This shows the new creek channel through the golf course under construction.
This is a pre-project photo of the golf course reach project; historic channel was obliterated
This is the same photo as above. Post project showing constructed restored channel.
Another pre-restoration photo, showing the dry meadow BEFORE the restoration project was done.
The same photo as above AFTER the restoration project was completed, showing the newly constructed channel and lush wet meadow.